Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Storytelling: what i learned from Ira Glass

what i already knew:
I'd like to think I have the basics down to broadcast story telling. I'm not saying I'm particularly good at it... but I like to think I'm good enough and know enough that I don't need to change career paths. If I'm wrong... I should probably quit my job... or I should be fired.
I also understand that it takes a significantly long time and tedious interviewing to find a great story. We report on the not so great stories, too... and we understand when they aren't good.
I can also relate to what he says about having good taste and wanting to great work, but that it takes time... years even. I hope to eventually be a great broadcast story teller.

as for what i learned... For one, you can't learn broadcast story telling from advice. Advice is good, but you have to get out there and apply the advice, make mistakes, and learn from those.

No comments:

Post a Comment